20 Sept 2020

Challenges of the Narrow Way (by Bridget Plass)

Years ago I came across Bridget Plass’s book ‘The Apple of His Eye’, a Lenten devotional study guide. I already knew and loved her husband Adrian Plass’s varied books, which combine humour with poignancy and some important messages. And I found Bridget’s book both inspiring and thought-provoking; so much so that I’ve read it at least three times. 


I then discovered that she had written some other books, although they’re no longer in print.  About three years ago I managed to find ‘Dear Paul… am I the only one?’ and thought that excellent too. So I was delighted when I finally managed to source a copy of ‘Challenges of the Narrow Way’, another of her works. 


I hadn’t realised that this is another Lent/Easter study guide; when I started reading and realised that it was, I decided to keep reading anyway. The events of Lent and Easter are relevant all year round, even if they are more meaningful when the church is currently recognising the season. And I’m sure I’ll read this again before too long.


The format is simple: one short study for each day of Lent, with a brief passage of Scripture followed by Bridget Plass’s commentary, and a short prayer at the end. There is the bonus of a few poems by her husband too, all the more meaningful for being selected to go with the text of this book, and quotations from a few other authors too.


Once again I found the writing excellent, getting straight to the heart of each of the passages without any ‘preaching’. The author shares anecdotes from her marriage and family life, and also looks at what Jesus is saying in the Bible passages.  As well as putting them into context, they are given a modern slant, suggesting where some 21st century Christians get wrong ideas, or suffer needlessly.  


I read just one section - or sometimes too - over the course of more than a month, and each morning looked forward to a little more of Bridget Plass’s wisdom.  I have no hesitation in recommending this to anyone wanting short devotional passages to read in Lent - or any other time of the year.  Apparently this was intended for group study; at the end there are some group questions, but they can be thought of alone, discussed with friends, or ignored. 


All in all, I thought this excellent and hope it might be reprinted one day. It can sometimes be found second-hand online at a good price, but it's taken me a while; if you find it, it's well worth acquiring in my view.


Review copyright 2020 Sue's Book Reviews

No comments: