7 Apr 2005

Nine Coaches Waiting (by Mary Stewart)

I'm not a great fan of suspense or thrillers, but I do love Mary Stewart's writing. I always pounce on her novels when I see them in second-hand or charity shops, and 'Nine Coaches Waiting' was one of my recent acquisitions for a few pence.

Linda Martin, an orphan, goes to work as governess to Philippe. He is a French boy who is heir to a huge estate. He too lost his parents at a young age and is looked after by his aunt and uncle, who seem to care for him - but do they? Unexplained accidents start to occur, and Linda becomes fearful for his life.

The plot isn't particularly spectacular but it's so well-written that once I was half-way through I could hardly bear to put this book down. I had no way of knowing who Linda should really be trusting, and while I assumed it would end reasonably satisfactorily, I wasn't sure until the last chapter or two how that would work out.

Great characters, interesting setting in rural France in a period which I assume was the 1950s. This novel was first published in 1958 and has the feel of being contemporary rather than historical when written.

(You can also read my longer review of 'Nine Coaches Waiting', written after re-reading the book fourteen years later)

No comments: