24 Oct 2023

The Wrong Chalet School (by Elinor M Brent-Dyer)

The Wrong Chalet School (Elinor M Brent-Dyer)
(Amazon UK link)
I do like re-reading my way regularly through Elinor M Brent-Dyer’s lengthy ‘Chalet School’ series. Originally written for teenagers in the middle decades of the 20th century, they have been published in more than one format. Most of the readers nowadays are adults like myself who recall them fondly from our mothers’ or grandmothers’ shelves, and I’m very pleased to have the entire series myself. 

‘The Wrong Chalet School’ is one I have only in Armada paperback form. I gather that this edition was uncut from the hardback, unlike many of the others; however my book, one I have had for a LONG time, is falling to pieces. I hope eventually to acquire a ‘Girls Gone By’ edition.

I last read this book in 2011, but I had read it before, more than once. It wasn’t difficult to remember the basic outline: Katharine Gordon arrives at the Chalet School, but she wasn’t supposed to go there. I couldn’t recall much else, and confused it somewhat in my mind with ‘Carola Storms the Chalet School’, which I re-read last month, and which has a similar theme. Both girls arrive unexpectedly; both had been living with aunts. 

The difference, however, is that Carola takes matters into her own hands, escaping her aunt, and her deception was uncovered very quickly. Carola, moreover, is a very impulsive person who rarely thinks ahead. Katharine, by contrast, is sent to boarding school with her aunt’s blessing, at the suggestion of her parents who are in China. There’s an ongoing subplot involving the safety - or otherwise - of Katharine’s parents which I found quite moving. 

In addition, while Carola is entirely unexpected, there’s a coincidence that’s rather large to swallow in Katherine’s case. Another girl with a similar name, is expected but does not turn up. At first it’s assumed that there was some administrative error (and we learn that a lot of letters from parents and guardians were destroyed by water from a leaky ceiling) but gradually it becomes apparent that Katharine should probably have gone somewhere else. However the other Chalet School in the area has no record of her.

Katharine turns out to be a likeable, friendly and sporty girl who excels in both swimming and tennis. She makes friends easily and loves being at the Chalet School. So she very much hopes that she’ll be allowed to stay, even if it wasn’t where she should have been…

There are one or two plot holes, quite apart from the incredible coincidence of another girl with similar name having been registered. The fact that Katharine’s trunk turns up (as well as another one which clearly is NOT hers) seems unlikely, as does the fact that her aunt - who is very absent-minded - manages to write to the Chalet School. And I would assume that a boarding school would need some of the annual fees in advance, but obviously they wouldn’t have been paid: no mention is made of them. And I really couldn’t believe  that Jo Maynard, who is in Canada with her family, met and got to know the missing girl and her mother… 

However, it’s a very enjoyable book. There’s a good balance of scenes between Katharine and friends and the staff, and two or three places that made me smile; I even chuckled once. Katharine is a well-rounded character whom I liked very much, and she makes some good friends. There are also a couple of poignant scenes and a satisfying ending, even if preceded by a somewhat dull description of a sea pageant. 

Definitely recommended as part of the series: or as an introduction to it, if you want to try one of the typical Chalet School books.  Unfortunately it's not currently in print and second-hand versions tend to be pricey. 

Review copyright 2023 Sue's Book Reviews

No comments: