22 Jul 2023

Spring comes to Nettleford (by Malcolm Saville)

Spring comes to Nettleford by Malcolm Saville
(Amazon UK link)
Having recently re-read Malcolm Saville’s two children’s books ‘All Summer Through’ and ‘Christmas at Nettleford’, I decided to read the third in the series, ‘Spring Comes to Nettleford’, before I forget entirely who the children in the story were. I didn’t find the first two books all that exciting, and didn’t like them as much as the better-known ‘Lone Pine’ series, but the characterisation is good and I was interested to know what this book would involve. 

The first book seemed to focus primarily on Paul and Sally, who live over a bookshop, and the second mainly featured Elizabeth, daughter of the Nettleford vicar, so it made sense that this one begins with Jimmy, the fourth of the ‘Owlers’ club, whose father is an ironmonger. The book was first published in 1964, apparently, so I assume the series is set in the early 1960s. 

The children are all about eleven or twelve, and have a lot of freedom to go out and about. Jimmy has a new bike of which he’s very proud, so he takes his bike on a train ride, and then explores. He discovers what seems to be a farm track leading into a forest, and meets a girl called Margaret, about his age, who has fallen off her pony. 

Margaret is an interesting addition to the story - she has a dramatic imagination and a way with words, and is also quite lonely. She has wealthy parents who play golf all day - and she’s more-or-less neglected through the day, though her parents are quite strict (and a bit snobbish). 

The story involves some bird-watching, some camping - including borrowing a caravan - some unpleasant bullies, and some potentially illegal activity. However it’s all quite tame; and while I was interested in the children, whose personalities are quite distinct, I didn’t find the story particularly appealing. I suppose I don’t care enough about the potential theft of eggs from rare birds, although I realise it’s quite a serious issue. 

The ending is a bit abrupt and doesn’t seem to tie up all the ends; I don’t know if this book is abridged in the Armada paperback version which I have; I know some of the Lone Pine ones were significantly shortened. But those usually lost some of the conversation and characterisation, rather than any of the storyline. So perhaps it does end suddenly with something of an anti-climax, and - hopefully - peace for the rest of the camping trip. 

I’m pleased to have re-read this book, as well as the other two, but don’t now feel any strong inclination to try to acquire ‘The Secret of Buzzard Scar’, which is apparently the fourth in the series. Apparently it isn’t even set in Nettleford, and only involves three of the children. 

I’d recommend ‘Spring Comes to Nettleford’ in a low-key way if you’ve read the earlier two in the series, or have a child of about 8-12 who likes this kind of book. But it’s not one I’ll be rushing to read again in a few years. This book is long out of print but occasionally found second-hand or in charity shops. 

Review copyright 2023 Sue's Book Reviews

No comments: