13 Jun 2023

Staying in the Boat (by Jeff Lucas)

Staying in the Boat by Jeff Lucas
(Amazon UK link)
I have liked all the books I’ve read by Jeff Lucas, a Christian writer who works in the United States as a pastor, but is originally from the UK. I was very pleased to be able to acquire one I hadn’t previously read a couple of months ago, and have just finished reading ‘Staying in the Boat’ - or, as its full title is, ‘If you want to walk on water, consider staying in the boat, and other things I wish I’d known’. 

The book is divided into about thirty short sections, each just a few pages long, outlining things the author says he wished he’d known forty years earlier. They range from the simple, obvious truths (...that saying ‘thank you’ means a lot, or …that gossip can be delicious, but deadly) to more controversial things (...that it’s okay for church to be boring, or …that some Christian slogans are outright lies). I read two or three sections each morning for a couple of weeks, and found them quite thought-provoking. 

As with his other books, Jeff Lucas writes in a chatty and very readable style. He shares personal anecdotes, some of them quite self-deprecating, all of them believable and clear. He uses Scripture, too, and refers to Biblical people and stories where relevant. He also explains how his thinking has changed over the years, as well as how not knowing or understanding these various issues made life much more difficult for him as a new believer; this also, he points out, can make other people feel insecure or as if they’re missing out. 

The title of the book is a clear nod to John Ortberg’s classic ‘If you want to walk on water, you’ve got to get out of the boat’ which I’ve read twice now, and appreciate very much. And, indeed, Jeff Lucas mentions this book (and recommends it) - but points out that out of however many disciples were with Jesus in the incident relating to Peter walking on the water, most of them stayed where they were. Peter asked to be called, and Jesus called him, and that’s fine. The others were not asked to walk on the water, and therefore it was just fine that they stayed where they were.

I found this enormously encouraging. It’s easy to see others around doing all kinds of useful, inspiring or creative things, sometimes taking risks and trying things they didn’t know they could do… while I prefer to stay at home following both domestic and literary pursuits. Many years ago when I read Philip Yancey’s book ‘Finding God in Unexpected Places’ I was very struck by a chapter title, ‘They also serve who only sit and click’. I think I’m being reminded that I’m where I’m supposed to be, and need to do the things I’m supposed to do, not wonder or worry if I should be somewhere else, doing something more challenging. At least for now.

Overall I liked this book very much, and would recommend it to anyone who considers themself a follower of Jesus, whether a new believer or a long-term one. Knowing that it’s absolutely fine to be honest with God and with others in the church is something that a surprising number of people don’t seem to realise. And while you might not agree with every word in this book, there’s probably something of value to everyone. 

Very highly recommended.


Review copyright 2023 Sue's Book Reviews

No comments: