10 Feb 2023

The Powerful Purpose of Introverts (by Holley Gerth)

The Powerful Purpose of Introverts by Holley Gerth
(Amazon UK link)
I don’t remember where I came across a recommendation for the book ‘The Powerful Purpose of Introverts’. It’s not the kind of title that would usually appeal to me, and I had not heard of the author, Holley Gerth. However, I must have seen something about it that persuaded me to put it on my wishlist. I was given it for Christmas, and started reading it a couple of weeks ago. 


Had I seen the subtitle when I decided I’d like this book, I might have been put off entirely. ‘Why the World needs YOU to be YOU’ is rather a scary idea. Not that I mind being me, but I’m pretty sure the world doesn’t need me at all. However, it's the only thing I didn't like The writing of the book is, in my view, excellent. I loved the style, and the information and checklists and general recommendations. The writing felt chatty, as if I were talking to a friend. I only read about ten pages per day as there was so much to think about.


The book starts with a bit of science, as the author looks at what makes people either introverted or extraverted. Some of the personality books claim that this is the least significant of the personality preferences, and I guess that’s true from the point of view of how we learn, and how we make decisions, and so on. 


But if this book is to be believed, and it seems that the author has done her research well, introversion and extraversion are hard-wired into our brains. We use and react in different ways, physically, to different hormones. In lay terms (which is how I operate) it’s why extraverted people are energised by activity and parties, while introverts find them draining. That’s not to say that introverts don’t enjoy them - it’s that they need to recharge afterwards, while extraverts are charged by activity in the world.


I found this immensely reassuring, as was the reminder that everyone is unique, that we all process things a bit differently and that there are degrees of introversion and extraversion.  According to one of the brief checklist tests in the book, my introversion is at about 85%. 


The author goes on to mention the Myers-Briggs personality test - her preferences are apparently the same as mine, which may explain why the writing style resonates so well. She mentions other systems of categorising people too, such as the Enneagram, and points out how there are so many different ways of relating to the world and to each other.


I found the whole book fascinating - much of what is said was not new to me, but I appreciated very much the way it was said. There’s a low-key Christian theme, but it’s not at all preachy. Someone of  no faith could skim or miss out the references to God, and our callings and beliefs. I knew that God loves me as an individual; I’m fortunate to have grown up knowing I was loved by many family members. But it’s still easy to think of oneself as a bit dull, or feeble, or lazy, when not involved in a lot of activities and meetings. 


I was most impressed with the final chapter, where the author talks about a ‘vision statement’, acknowledging that this sounds rather formal and that not everyone wants one. But she walks through what she means, with more checklists, and I could see it - not just one but four different ways that, as an introvert, I can play my part with those around me and in the wider world. 


I would recommend this book very highly to anyone who is an introvert, or who is concerned that they need a lot of time alone and wonder if it’s okay. Some extraverts might find it helpful too. In the US, where the author is based, it’s not easy to be a quiet, home-loving person as the culture there is so outgoing, bright and lively. Growing up in the UK, it wasn’t so difficult. But still, it’s not always easy to say ‘no’ to social activities, or staying up later than I want to.  It's very hard saying when I've had enough (temporarily) of being with people I love very much. This book gives a kind of permission, couched in the science of why it’s important to listen to our instincts.  


I ended the book feeling validated, encouraged and with a much more positive outlook than I have had for a while. It’s a book I hope to read regularly, and which I may dip into at odd moments too.


Review copyright 2023 Sue's Book Reviews

No comments: