22 May 2022

Bird by Bird (by Anne Lamott)

I’m not sure where I first heard of Anne Lamott; possibly recommended in some other book I read. I discovered that she’s written both novels and non-fiction including some on the topic of faith, and one, which is highly rated on the topic of writing. I put this (and a couple of others) on my wishlist and was given them for my birthday earlier in the year. I’ve just finished reading ‘Bird by Bird’ which is the book about writing.


I should make it clear from the outside that although the author is a person of faith, and mentions God a few times, it’s not at all a religious book, or a typical one written by a Christian writer. There is some quite strong language used in places, and the ‘instructions’ of the sub-title are very general, relaxed and full of personal reflections, mostly from what might be called a ‘secular’ viewpoint. 


It’s nonetheless a very engaging book, full of honesty, as the author recounts - for instance - the horrors of sitting in front of a blank screen when all ideas have vanished, or the way she describes her loathing in exaggerated terms of authors who are ‘successful’. She uses hyperbole several times to make good points, and while I think I might find her a tad overwhelming if I attended one of her classes, I thought what she said in the book was excellent, encouraging, and extremely reassuring.


Some of the advice, of course, is the same as any writer would say. In order to finish anything, one has to start.  To have a final copy, one needs a first draft. It doesn’t matter if that first draft is rubbish (Anne Lamott uses a much stronger word which is perhaps more memorable) and it doesn’t matter if some of the writing is pointless, or goes nowhere. She recommends a minimum of 300 words per day, less than is commonly advised, but then it’s much easier to write 300 than 1000.


She explains, too, how to get to know our characters, letting them wander into our minds, asking them questions, letting them lead the way in short stories or novels. It’s not new advice, but the way it’s expressed is helpful. Indeed, it’s the way the book is written that makes it so engaging; it’s not laugh-aloud funny but there are definitely some amusingly written sections of writing, not just the hyperbole. 


Publication, the author insists, is not the supreme goal of writing, although it is, of course, very nice to be published. But it’s not straightforward, it takes a huge amount of effort and stress - and the satisfaction of writing is in the writing itself. This book was written before the popularity of self-publication via print-on-demand services, but the points made should hold: a book needs months, maybe years of writing, re-writing, asking for advice from one or two trusted people, editing and proof-reading. But at some point one needs to let go; to allow one’s work to be finished, even if only printed out and read to one or two people, or it’s possible to keep going forever, without progressing.


I have a full shelf of writing advice books already, some of them more helpful than others; most of them are inspiring to some extent and each time I read one I determine to write more, to set targets, to follow all the suggestions given. It never lasts more than a few weeks. But maybe, just maybe I might manage 300 words per day, and finish some of my many started projects even if nobody else ever gets to read them.


Having said that, there are some sections that went right over my head; it’s an American book, and references to American sports or other activities meant very little to me. 


Definitely recommended if you are interested in writing, and want an honest - sometimes almost brutally honest - viewpoint of life as a writer, with plenty of suggestions and ideas rather than a structured plan or instructions.


Review copyright 2022 Sue's Book Reviews

No comments: