21 Jul 2021

Jingo (by Terry Pratchett)

On the whole I am enjoying re-reading Terry Pratchett’s ‘Discworld’ series, some of which I haven’t read in over twenty years. ‘Jingo’ is one of them.  We probably acquired it some time in 1998, which is when the paperback edition was first published, and I must have read it, either to myself or out loud to my sons, before I began this blog in April 1999.  I certainly haven’t read it since. I didn’t remember it as being particularly interesting, but then I had totally forgotten everything that was in it. 


‘Jingo’ is the 21st Discworld book, and fourth in the ‘Watch’ series featuring the Disc equivalent of a police force. It follows on from ‘Feet of Clay’ which I re-read a few months ago, and features the same haphazard bunch of individuals including a troll, a dwarf, a werewolf, a tall person brought up as a dwarf, a couple of humans, and not forgetting Nobby Nobbs, who doesn’t appear to fit entirely into any species.  


Sam Vimes is the commander of the Watch,  married to Lady Sybil. He is unimpressed that he has to lead a civic parade involving the wizards and some invited royalty visiting Ankh Morpork. He is particularly unhappy about the traditional costume he has to wear. He’s also concerned as he’s been warned that there may be violence or even an attempt at assassination, so he has his team stationed in strategic places….


Pratchett’s plots are never particularly easy to follow, and this book is more confusing than most - or perhaps it’s that my eyes tend to glaze over at any mention of either politics or war. And this is essentially a book about war, although more theory than practice. A new island has suddenly appeared, mid-way between Ankh Morpork and Klatch, observed by two fishermen, one from each country. Naturally everyone wants to claim it, and they can’t quite agree… and when something dramatic happens in the Ankh Morpork parade, war is declared. 


Meanwhile Leonard of Quirm, the brilliantly eccentric inventor, has created a going-underwater-boat (he’s not great at names), and Lord Rust, one of the guild leaders, has taken over the city and is trying to build up an army.  There are clues to two murders - some of them patently false - and various expeditions launched. 


I found it very hard to keep track of what was going on, but I found it a lot more readable than I had expected. That’s because of the interactions between the various Watch folk; Pratchett had got well into characterisation by the time this book was published.  I found the scenes with the oddly likeable Captain Carrot very enjoyable, and I was pleased to see a bit more of Cheery Littlebottom, the dwarf whose ‘coming out’ as female was a significant part of ‘Feet of Clay’.  


‘Jingo’ is, unsurprisingly, full of jingoism, of Disc style racism, and of questions about why people feel negatively about those they don’t know. Patriotism, ownership, and the ethos of war are all covered in conversation and action… it’s really quite a thought-provoking book. Pacifism is promoted, along with diplomacy and even a bit of sport as a means to enable friendly rivalry without violence. In theory, anyway.


And of course there are literary and other references, to be appreciated or ignored, depending on one’s background. I’m sure I missed many of them. But I did spot a few. 


I hadn’t expected to like this book as much as I did, so I’m glad I’ve finally picked it up again to re-read.  Recommended, but although each Discworld book stands alone, this is best read after the earlier Watch books: ‘Guards, Guards!’‘Men at Arms’ and ‘Feet of Clay’.


Review copyright 2021 Sue's Book Reviews

No comments: