24 Mar 2021

New House at the Chalet School (by Elinor M Brent-Dyer)

I first discovered Elinor M Brent-Dyer’s ‘Chalet School’ books as a young teenager, browsing the shelves at my grandmother’s house. During my teenage years I re-read her books each year, and also discovered later books in my school library. And as an adult, I have re-read them all, sometimes randomly and sporadically, but more recently in a more organised way.


I’ve just finished ‘New House at the Chalet School’, which is eleventh in the series, and for the first time I’ve read it in the full edition, having been given an original hardback by a relative. The last time I read this book was over ten years ago, so I'd mostly forgotten it before I started; however the various subplots came back to me as I read.


The Armada edition, which I had previously read, apparently has several minor cuts rather than anything major. So the story hasn’t changed - there wasn't anything new in this full version. On the other hand, there’s a depth of detail that was missing in my previous read-throughs, and for the first time I found myself almost able to visualise the ‘new house’ - which has become known as ‘St Clare’s’ by the end of the book - in my mind.  


It’s the last term at school for Joey Bettany, the Head Girl, and her three closest friends Simone, Freda and Marie. So they’re a bit disappointed, at first, that they won’t be spending this term in their beloved dormitories in the main building where they’ve spent all their school days, but in the new building, which is to house the ‘Middles’. The Head naturally wants the strongest prefects to be in charge of these often rebellious and very ingenious girls, but she’s understanding enough to know that Joey and her friends will want to spend as much time as possible together.


The four are given individual rooms, which are very nicely decorated, and which somewhat soften the blow; they also have an extra prefects’ room in the new building, where they can relax and entertain others. And they soon adjust, although it’s quite an eventful term.. 


A couple of new characters are introduced as small children, discovered by Joey and Freda on a trip to the dentist - I know from later books that they are going to be important, but in this book they simply occupy a couple of chapters. The coincidence nature of the discovery is one that just has to be swallowed.  There’s a new matron for St Clare’s house too, and while she’s not cruel, she’s very strict, wants to make more rules than there are already, and appears to have no sense of humour. She and Joey soon come up against each other, through no fault of Joey’s.


There are pranks from the Middles, a sleep-walker, frightening stories told in the dormitories… all fairly standard Chalet School happenings, although at this stage in the series they feel quite fresh and new. There’s a developing ‘orchestra’ too, although without anyone musical in charge, it’s a bit of a disaster when its organiser decides to have a show.  


And there are outings with (in my view) a bit too much educational input as the author describes places of interest; there’s a near tragedy as someone makes a dangerous slip;  and there’s general character-building and day-to-day life in this school which was way ahead of its time in educational practice and the trust and responsibility given to the older girls. 


There are poignant moments at the end, as Joey and her friends talk about growing up - something Jo has never wanted to do.  And even a hint of romance.  I wonder if this was originally intended to be the last book in the series, as it finishes quite conclusively, tying up several loose ends as the four friends discuss their futures and say goodbye to their school, at least as pupils.  However it certainly didn’t end up that way, as there are over forty later books in the series.


I enjoyed reading it; I wouldn’t count this as one of my absolute favourites, but it was a good book to pick up at every odd moment, or last thing at night. And I’m very pleased to have acquired a full edition, as my Armada books were beginning to fall to pieces.


Best to read after at least a few of the earlier books, as the number of characters could be quite overwhelming to a new reader - and the sense of finality for Jo and her friends would be meaningless to someone who had not followed them for the previous five or six years through their school days.


'New House at the Chalet School' is not currently in print, and second-hand editions of the hardbacks or the full 'Girls Gone By' edition tend to be excessively expensive. The Armada abridged version is sometimes found in charity shops or even online at a more reasonable price, and since the story is there in full, albeit edited, it's worth picking up one of those if you can find one.


Review copyright 2021 Sue's Book Reviews

No comments: