16 Nov 2020

Look the World in the Eye/Letters to my Sister (by Alice Peterson)

Twelve-and-a-half years ago, I was given the novel ‘Look the World in the Eye’ by Alice Peterson for my birthday. When I read it shortly afterwards, I liked it very much. I’ve gradually acquired the author’s other novels over the years, all of which I have enjoyed.  


So each year, as Christmas approaches, I check to see whether any of my favourite writers have published any more books, and (if so) add them to my wishlist. Towards the end of 2016, I saw that there was an Alice Peterson book called ‘Letters from my Sister’, which was not on my shelves. So I added that to my wishlist.


It wasn’t until I received the book, and picked it up to start reading that I realised it wasn’t a new book at all, but a re-issue of ‘Look the World in the Eye’.  Very irritating, but as I had liked the book so much I thought I might give the older one to a friend. Thankfully, I never got around to it...


I decided to read my newer edition over the past few days. It wasn’t until I got to the end of ‘Letters from my Sister’ that I realised something was missing - ten pages, in fact!  The story stopped abruptly, without any real conclusion.  I was able to find my original ‘Look the World in the Eye’, and so finished reading in that one. I was relieved to find that everything worked out as it should in the novel, albeit in a somewhat predictable way. 


I mention all this so that (1) potential readers will realise that these two entirely different titles are for the same book and (2) if ‘Letters from my Sister’ appears to end suddenly, you may also have an edition with ten missing pages. Indeed, glancing through both editions, I see that ‘Letters from my sister’ has some edits which make it seem more abrupt, less friendly. I like the earlier edition rather better and - obviously - will be keeping that one now.


As for the novel itself, I had forgotten the storyline and people, and enjoyed it all over again. Katie is the main protagonist, a young woman in her early twenties who runs a fashion shop. She cares a great deal about her appearance, and lives with a guy called Sam. They seem to have a good relationship, although he, too, is very taken up with appearances. And Katie has never admitted to him that she has a sister who was born with a cleft palate and who has learning difficulties.


Even when their parents persuade Katie to invite her sister Isabel - known as Bells - to stay, she doesn’t tell Sam anything about her. I found this all rather unlikely this time around; it’s hard to imagine how a relationship could have reached the stage Katie and Sam’s has without discussing their families. But perhaps it’s all meant to be part of the superficiality of both their lives.


So Bells comes to stay, causing gentle havoc in their household simply by being herself. She’s a delightful person, very good at some things (like cooking) but she struggles in others. And she speaks her mind, asking people their ages, or why they’re fat, or where their hair has gone, without any idea that personal questions are out of place. I don’t know if she’s meant to be autistic - it’s not specified - but I found her entirely believable, and very lovable. 


It’s a character-based book, in which Katie learns that some things are a lot more important than appearance. There are lots of kind, pleasant people in the book: Katie’s friend Emma, who used to be her next-door neighbour; her shop assistant Eve; a young man called Mark who is a somewhat scatty teacher, whom Katie keeps bumping into. Others are more superficial, but there are no 'bad' guys as such.


It’s clear from sections set in the past, from Katie’s childhood, that she felt neglected while growing up. She went through some rebellious behaviours, while her parents did their best to balance Bells’ needs with Katie’s. But during the book she realises gradually that they do love her. There are some good discussions after a crisis mid-way through the book, and I liked the way that their family life developed. 


It’s a thought-provoking book. I love the way that Alice Peterson explores different kinds of illness and disability in her novels, showing clearly the real, likeable people who are so often labelled by their medical conditions and not seen as valued individuals. I also found it poignant seeing, from Katie's point of view, the way that so many strangers would stare, or look away, or even move away rather than engaging with Bells directly.


However, I think the original title, ‘Look the World in the Eye’ was far better than ‘Letters to my Sister’ and if the ending was deliberately cut in the re-issue, that was a huge mistake, even if it made it less predictable and left people guessing. 


Definitely recommended, particularly if you can find the original edition.


Review copyright 2020 Sue's Book Reviews

No comments: