23 May 2020

Bittersweet (by Shauna Niequist)


I very much liked the first book I read by Shauna Niequist, so I put a couple of her other books on my wishlist. I was given ‘Bittersweet’ for Christmas, and just finished reading it. I read a couple of chapters each day over the course of two weeks or so, as there was a lot to think about in each one.

As with the other books I’ve read by this author, the style is something like that of a relaxed autobiography crossed with a personal journal. And the theme of this particular one is that of grieving, yet finding God through difficult circumstances. But it’s by no means trite or preachy. It was particularly apropos to read during the Covid-19 pandemic; so many people are suffering, or bereaved, or in other ways finding life extremely difficult.

Shauna Niequist is almost brutally honest in this volume of her life story. She writes about being pregnant, and losing her baby. She writes about moving, about the immense stress of trying to sell their old house, and about close friends moving away from each other. Many of her friends also suffer in other ways: a sick child, a disabled child, serious illness.

But it’s not at all a depressing book. The author also writes about meals she has cooked or eaten out - she claims to recall incidents or occasions by the food that was eaten. She writes about good times with her husband as well as some very hard times where they continually argued. And she writes about trying to get a balance between her work life and spending time with her son.

I started reading this wondering whether there would be a happy resolution towards the end of the book. I kept reading, reminding myself that she was writing a true story, not a novel. Life does not always come with tidy endings. Sometimes I wondered how she managed to keep going. Other times I felt exhausted reading about her energy, her huge enthusiasm for life.

As a quiet extravert myself, I found the author’s lifestyle and preferences far removed from mine. As an American, she has different expectations, too, and a culture where going out for breakfast or a quick meal is the norm, rather than an expensive luxury. I would hate flying around the country giving talks, and while I like entertaining, I don’t ask my guests to help, and I don’t cheerfully throw together food while chatting to them. On the other hand I do bake a lot of cakes and other desserts.

And yet, there were so many ways in which I felt a tug of kinship. After almost every chapter I had to pause a moment and reflect. The casual writing hides a depth of feeling and commitment that challenged me. The author’s faith, her reliance on God being with her even in the worst of circumstances was very encouraging. She doesn’t deny strong emotions, she doesn’t tell people what to do or what to think. She simply shares her story and some of what she learned along the way.

A short review can’t begin to do this wonderful book justice. Still, it was the perfect time for me to read it. I would recommend it very highly to anyone, but with the proviso others might not like the style, or might not be in the best stage of life to read it.

Review copyright 2020 Sue's Book Reviews

No comments: