29 Mar 2020

A Loving Life (by Paul E Miller)

I first came across Paul E Miller’s writing when I downloaded and read his book ‘A Praying Life’ free for my Kindle nearly a year ago. I liked the style very much indeed, and afterwards put a couple of his other books on my wishlist. I was given ‘A Loving Life’ for Christmas, and have just finished reading it.

I didn’t realise - or had forgotten, anyway - that this book is basically an in-depth study of the Biblical book of Ruth. The story is well-known - the Jewish Naomi has moved to Moab, married someone there, and had two sons. But when the story opens, her husband and sons have all died.

Her daughters-in-law want to stay with her but she tries to persuade them to return to their families when she decides to return to Israel. One of them does as she asks, but Ruth, showing tremendous love and sacrifice, insists that she will stay with Naomi. When they arrive, Ruth goes to work in the fields, gleaning wheat - and in the end she marries the boss, Boaz.

I don’t think I’d thought too much before about just what an incredible, strong woman Ruth was. That comes through in this book, although the focus is on her deep, abiding love. She is willing to give up her biological family for the sake of her mother-in-law, and move to somewhere she has never been to. She will be a foreigner, possibly an outcast, and it appears when they set out that there’s little chance of her marrying again.

Each chapter of this book tells a little more of the story, with the emphasis all the time on what the author calls ‘hesed’ love, using a Hebrew word to demonstrate that this is much more than ordinary care or affection; it’s the kind of love that endures, that forgives, that is willing to keep loving even when pushed aside or rejected.

Naomi in fact gives ‘hesed’ love when she tells her daughters-in-law to go back to their families, although she becomes quite bitter for a while too. But it’s Ruth who is the heroine of this book, the ‘Christ’ figure who gives up everything she has in order to care for her mother-in-law.

The writing is good, including a few anecdotes in the author’s own life and experience, and also explaining some of the cultural and historical background to the book of Ruth. I found it very interesting, although it took me a while to get through it as I only read a chapter each day. There was much to ponder, and I hope I have a better overview of what real love is, explained in practical and specific ways.

Definitely recommended.

Review copyright 2020 Sue's Book Reviews

No comments: