5 Sept 2019

The Convenient Marriage (by Georgette Heyer)

I was tired and a bit brain-fogged after a day of travelling, so decided to pick up a book by one of my favourite comfort-reading authors, Georgette Heyer. I’m gradually re-reading her books anyway, interspersed with others, and the one I selected this time was ‘The Convenient Marriage’. I had previously read it at least five times, the last one being in 2008.

While I had forgotten most of the details, and indeed the names of the main characters, the basic storyline soon came back to me. This book is set in the latter part of the 19th century, rather earlier than my favourite Regency period; but I recalled liking this book on the whole.

The hero of the book is Marcus, the Earl of Rule. He has decided that it’s time to get married, and has offered for the beautiful Miss Winwood. They barely know each other, but her family is in serious financial difficulties, and she feels obliged to accept the offer. However she’s in love with a military man, Edward Heron. So her younger sister Horatia (Horry) decides to find out whether Rule would accept her as a wife instead.

It sounds extremely bizarre to a modern reader, but this was a time when many marriages were arranged, and it was normal to ally good families in unions that often began without any real affection. Horry shocks her relatives by what she proposes, and is indeed rather brazen in her offer; she is only 17 and Rule is in his early thirties. But when he accepts, they are pleased and relieved. She’s not a beauty and speaks with a stammer, but Rule professes to like it. He is evidently intrigued by her spirit and her tendency to say whatever she is thinking without much regard for tact or convention.

The overall story, of course, is one with a positive ending; there are plenty of barriers in the way of Horry and Rule developing a good relationship, but I knew it would work out well in the end. I probably guessed that when I first read this at least thirty years ago. But there’s quite a bit of action and some tension as the story progresses. It’s the age of sword fights and duels, of highwaymen, of heavy gambling and prize fighting, and of course men were expected to have mistresses, and to have wide experience of women before settling down.

Had I not been a fan of Georgette Heyer for several decades, and had I read this for the first time, I would probably have found some sections rather disturbing. Quite apart from the cultural background - and I think it’s accurate; Heyer was meticulous in her research, and her conversations and descriptions all ring true - there’s something very distasteful about a hero continuing to visit his mistress even after getting married. And while I liked Rule - he has an excellent sense of the ridiculous, and is generous and patient - he doesn’t do much to try to woo Horry, or to guide her gently in the life into which she has married.

Also, Horry seems to change character once she’s married. She’s evidently not as naive or innocent as she appeared at first, and quickly runs up staggering bills for ridiculous items of clothing. She starts gambling heavily, too. Yet she’s unaware that there are some serious dangers in society, and in some of her flirtatious friendships. And there’s one very unpleasant scene - thankfully short - where the villain of the piece attempts - more overtly than I had remembered - to rape her. That the scene ends in a violent escape isn’t particularly pleasant either, although it’s followed by a light-hearted and amusing scene which at least provides some useful contrast.

I sound negative; but that’s partly because in general I like Heyer’s writing so much. I don’t think she could write a bad book. The characterisation is always good - albeit caricatured in places - and I found myself quite caught up in the story. There’s a lot of humour in the book, mostly involving Horry’s brother Pelham, who has run up enormous debts and is himself a serious gambler. He drinks heavily and makes a lot of mistakes, but he’s basically kind (if impetuous and quick-tempered) and goes to inordinate lengths to try to help his sister when she gets into scrapes.

I very much liked Rule’s long-suffering secretary Arnold, and was disappointed that his part was so small. I had thought it was more, but had perhaps confused him with similar secretaries in other books. I felt that Lizzie and Horry’s middle sister, the prudish Charlotte, was somewhat unnecessary too. She is determined to stay single, and disapproves of the excesses of society life - but she doesn’t have much of a part to play.

Still, it’s a fast-paced and overall enjoyable read that I finished in under two days. It was one of Heyer’s earlier novels - she was herself only in her early thirties when it was published - so perhaps not surprising that it doesn’t have the depth of some of her later books. And I suspect that different books appeal - or not - in varying ways as we progress through life.

Recommended if you’re a fan of Heyer, but I would not suggest choosing this as an introduction to her writing.

Review copyright 2019 Sue's Book Reviews

No comments: