2 Jun 2019

Thunder on the Right (by Mary Stewart)


I first read some of Mary Stewart’s novels when I was a teenager. I probably borrowed them from my school library. I remember finding them quite tense, and scary in places; but I also loved the underlying romantic threads that run through most of them. ‘Thunder on the Right’ was a title I recalled - although not the story line - when I acquired a copy of the book second-hand about fifteen years ago.

I last read ‘Thunder on the Right’ in 2005, and had entirely forgotten the story. I like it when that happens as it’s like reading a book for the first time, but with the comfortable knowledge that I liked it when I read it previously. It was written in 1957 as a contemporary novel.

Jennifer is the main protagonist in this book. We meet her in a dining room in the Pyrenees, eating alone, and thinking about her cousin Gillian, whom she hopes to see soon. There are two learned ladies at the next table, discussing archaeology, and Jennifer’s thoughts are inevitably interrupted; it. It makes for a light-hearted first chapter of the book, helped by the arrival of Stephen, a young man whom Jennifer recalls with fondness. She did not expect to see him, and has no idea that he is really rather keen on her.

Jennifer is a bit concerned about her cousin, as her communications suddenly ceased three weeks earlier. And when she finally reaches the convent where Gillian was supposed to be staying, she receives some very shocking news. She meets the convent bursar, a rather hard woman whom she does not take to, and a young girl who is clearly nervous.

Most of the action takes place in or around the convent. Jennifer is very suspicious about the things she has been told, and her suspicions become more and more concerning, as she uncovers more information. Stephen insists he is not a hero; during the course of the book Jennifer has to put aside some of her romantic ideas about heroism, and tackle some extremely dangerous situations.

While most of the nuns Jennifer encounters are genuine, kind-hearted and devoted, the bursar - Dona Francisca - is an extremely unpleasant woman, more and more terrifying as the book progresses. There are various other minor characters, some nicer than others, but I thought them all well-drawn and three-dimensional.

The viewpoint stays with Jennifer’s throughout the book; it enabled me to related to her well, even though she is rather more stubborn and considerably more adventurous than I am. The writing is excellent, fast-paced and atmospheric, albeit a tad too action-filled for my tastes. There are, of course, endless lucky escapes, but that’s expected in this kind of mid-20th century light thriller.

The romantic thread is so low-key as to be almost immaterial, but contributes to the mostly satisfactory ending, where the villains have been dealt with and it looks as though life will return to normal. I liked the way that the book came full circle, with the two earnest archaeologists reappearing, immersed in their academic world of research, with no idea of everything that was going on around them.

Recommended, if you like this genre.

Review copyright 2019 Sue's Book Reviews

No comments: