10 Aug 2018

Planes: Wings around the Globe (by Bill Scollon)


After reading a couple of books by Roald Dahl to my four-year-old grandson, I thought it was time for something different. Unfortunately he didn’t want me to read him a Paddington book; instead he asked for the book ‘Planes: wings around the globe’ by Bill Scollon.

My grandson had told me about the film ‘Planes’, which he has watched, and likes. It’s a Pixar-style film, and for some reason I can’t deal with that kind of graphics. But although the book did not appeal to me much more than the film, I agreed to read it to him.

The book is set in a world of anthropomorphic aeroplanes and other mechanical objects. There are no humans or animals - just machines. The first few pages are so full of technical jargon (mostly in rather trite conversation) that I had no idea what I was reading. But gradually I realised that the main character is a small plane who usually plants crops: his name is Dusty Crophopper. I wondered vaguely why crops were needed in a world with no sentient creatures, but apparently they’re used for fuels.

Dusty Crophopper has ambitions - he wants to take part in a round-the-world race. Some of his friends are supportive, others not so much. The story, unsurprisingly, is about the problems that beset him as he attempts to become a racer, ending (since it’s a children’s book) with success.

So there’s a positive message in the overall theme: that of working hard, following one’s dreams and doing things beyond one’s natural abilities. It’s important, too, that Dusty keeps going even in the face of negative expectations, and (in some cases) deliberate attempts at sabotage. He does not become bitter when attacked, but retains his helpful nature. In victory, he’s still generous.

However, it’s all remarkably silly. Even when accepting the premise of a world of mechanical ‘people’, the interactions and conversations are stilted, and unlikely. There’s really no characterisation, other than (perhaps) that of Dusty; all the other ‘characters’ are exaggerated and two-dimensional.

I was also concerned that some of the ways in which Dusty overcomes his problems are so ridiculous that they could lead to false expectations, or delusions of grandeur. And disturbed, given that this is intended for small children, by some extreme nastiness, unpleasant name-calling, and even a few innuendoes.

Still, my grandson likes the book, perhaps because he enjoys the film. So I read to the end and was relieved to finish. I would not recommend it, but small children may appreciate the book, particularly if they like the film.

Review copyright 2018 Sue's Book Reviews

No comments: