18 Apr 2006

The Gabriel Hounds (by Mary Stewart)

Although I'm not a fan of thrillers in general, I do enjoy Mary Stewart's writing. This particular novel is set in the Middle East - primarily Lebanon, with some scenes in Damascus - and is fast-paced and exciting.

Christy and her cousin Charles want to visit their Great-Aunt Harriet. She is a reclusive eccentric lady, known to live in a rather ancient castle in Lebanon, which has become legendary amongst the locals.

Their attempts to speak to her thrust them into tension and drama. Perhaps the plot is a little far-fetched at times but nonetheless I found it enjoyable. It was tense without being terrifying, and from the little I know of the area, quite believable in context. I assume it was set in the 1960s, since it was written in 1967 and has the feel of a contemporary book of the time.

All in all, very enjoyable and worth reading.  Recommended. 

No comments: