16 Feb 2019

Present over Perfect (by Shauna Niequist)

I can’t remember how I first heard of this book. I wasn’t familiar with Shauna Niequist; perhaps I saw a recommendation on a blog, or even Facebook. In any case, I liked the sound of ‘Present over Perfect’, and put it on my wishlist. Relatives gave it to me for Christmas, and I have just finished reading it.

The subtitle to the book is, ‘Leaving behind frantic for a simpler, more soulful way of living’. I don’t live my life at anything approaching a frantic pace, but I liked the idea of a simpler, more soulful way of life. However this isn’t a book of instructions, or even recommendations. Instead, it’s a revealing look into the author’s own lifestyle changes over the past few years.

Shauna Niequist is a self-acknowledged extravert who lived her life in a way that made me tired just reading about it. She lives in Chicago with a husband and two young boys, but used to spend every moment of her day being active for other people. She travelled a fair amount, too, leaving her family behind. And it began to take its toll on her health, and on the whole family.

So she made some important decisions, and lifestyle changes. She started saying ‘no’ to invitations, and making an effort to be present with her family and other loved ones, rather than trying to please strangers. She acknowledges that this was very difficult at times; she liked a busy, travelling lifestyle. But, some years on, she is finding her life far more satisfying, and her relationships stronger, as she lives at a simpler pace.

Even though most of the content wasn’t directly relevant to me, the writing style flowed well and I found it a very interesting book to read. There were nuggets of wisdom that I took to heart, here and there. And I found it encouraging, too; sometimes people look at me and think I’m rather boring, doing almost nothing. But it’s the right place for me currently, and that’s what matters.

There’s an emphasis on hospitality which I appreciated, although I was a bit daunted reading about the large crowds whom the author feeds, and her effortless production of food. But the principles are good. The author also touches on simplicity in getting rid of extraneous stuff: probably we all have too many possessions, although having moved internationally a few times we’ve reduced ours several times.

The book is divided into short sections - each chapter no more than about four or five pages. So it was easy to read in odd moments, and most chapters gave me something to think about or appreciate. The author is a Christian; there are sections about praying, and following Jesus, which wouldn’t appeal to everyone. But there’s a great deal in this book that could be of value to anyone wanting to slow down an over-busy life.

Towards the end of the book I found it a tad repetitive in places, but overall I liked it very much.

Review by Sue F copyright 2019 Sue's Book Reviews

No comments: