9 Apr 2011

The Practice of Godliness (by Jerry Bridges)

I'm not quite sure what made me start re-reading this book; it doesn't look particularly inspiring, and I don't really know anything about Jerry Bridges. I'd forgotten, too, that I'd ever read it before.

I was surprised to find that it was only in 2008, under three years ago, when I first read 'The Practice of Godliness'. I was even more surprised when I checked the copyright date, and discovered that the book was written as recently as 1983. It feels like something written in about the 1940s by style; it's somewhat stilted without much humour and few personal anecdotes.

Nonetheless, it's a book with an excellent message; perhaps one I needed to read again. It talks about what it means to be godly; not in the sense of being pious or religious, but being devoted to God, and also aiming to take on more godly characteristics. The latter include the so-called 'fruits of the Spirit' (such as love, joy, peace, and so on) and also some of the attributes of God.

The author continually aims to find a balance between regeneration as a result of the Holy Spirit and the need to be open and willing to change. Grace and works co-operating to help us mature. There's much to challenge any Christian, and plenty to ponder.

Recommended. Regularly in print on both sides of the Atlantic, widely available second-hand.

Review copyright Sue's Book Reviews, 8th April 2011

No comments: