24 Oct 2005

Girl from the South (by Joanna Trollope)

I have read and enjoyed most of Joanna Trollope's modern fiction, over the past few years.  But I had not bought or asked for 'Girl from the South' due to its rather poor reviews at Amazon UK. Still, when I found it for just over a pound at a charity shop, I decided to add it to my collection. I thought it would fill a few idle hours...

Expecting to be unenthralled, I actually found it an enjoyable book. It's very much about culture differences and expectations, set in both London (UK) and Charleston (USA). There are really four main characters, but the title of the book refers specifically to Gillon, a girl who grew up in the old-fashioned American South. She was raised by an elegant grandmother and a hard-working mother, and feels that she doesn't fit in. She takes a job in London in the hope of escaping from a claustrophobic family, only to find that they do in fact matter to her, much more than she had realised.

Inevitably there are love-affairs in the book. But they're not overdone or unbelievable. Gillon is not the only person to examine herself and look at her expectations. There are some thoughtful sections to the story looking at friendship, work ethics, parenting, and general family values. There is almost a hint of a Libby Purves novel, here and there, though without the terse style or shock value.

It wasn't a book to read all at once. For about the first three-quarters of it, I often found I had to put it down at the end of a chapter and take a break, as it became almost overwhelming with so much conversation. It was light enough to pick up in odd moments, however. It was also memorable enough that I rarely had to backtrack to find out who was whom. Most importantly, it was enjoyable enough that by the end I could barely put it down.

If this is a new direction for Joanna Trollope, I shall look forward to her future novels even more.

Recommended. 

No comments: