5 Aug 2001

The Holiday (by Erica James)

The Holiday by Erica James
(Amazon UK link)
I've enjoyed Erica James' novels until now. They're light romances with interesting plots, often set in villages; good holiday reading. So I was pleased to find her new book, available inexpensively at a supermarket, and assumed that would be similar.

Alas, I was disappointed by 'The Holiday'. The plot was predictable, traditional Mills and Boon style with glamorous locations, and lots of sex in the sun.

There were some interesting characters and sub-plots, but without the depth or gentle country life observations I have come to expect (and enjoy) from this author.

The ending, though reasonably satisfactory, was too sudden for my tastes. All in all, I didn't much like it and wouldn't recommend it.

(However - you might also like to read my longer review of 'The Holiday', written after I re-read it sixteen years later, when I enjoyed it a great deal more). 

No comments: