6 Mar 2001

Cat among the pigeons (by Agatha Christie)

I was on a roll. No Agatha Christie books in forty plus years, then I read three in one week. The third book I picked up by the 'queen of crime fiction' was 'Cat among the pigeons'.

This story is set in a girls' school, after a slightly odd opening to the novel in the Middle East. We meet a young prince, expecting to die, who entrusts the family jewels to someone else. He in turn entrusts them to his sister.

The plot gradually unfolds after an unexpected murder. It doesn't really get going, though, until a schoolgirl goes to visit the famous Hercule Poirot and asks for his help.

The story was fast-paced and cleverly plotted. However, I didn't like it quite as much as the other two books I had just read by the same author. Or perhaps it's just that it's best to switch authors rather than trying to read several by the same person one after another.

Not a bad book, though; recommended in a low-key way.

No comments: