4 Mar 2001

Murder at the Vicarage (by Agatha Christie)

Having finally decided I would try out some Agatha Christie crime fiction, and having very much enjoyed 'Hercule Poirot's Christmas', I thought I would read a few more.

The second one that looked appealing had the title of 'Murder at the Vicarage'. It wasn't really my choice of title, but crime fiction is generally about solving murders, so I gave it a go.

The story is about the pompous Colonel Potheroe. He is murdered early in the book in the Vicar's study. There are no unpleasant details, thankfully, and we never really get to know the victim in the first place.

Someone confesses to the crime, then another person confesses... and both are cleared. The police are baffled. But the elderly and gentle Miss Marple, who observes village life and people, unerringly solves the mystery.

I didn't like Miss Marple quite as much as the arrogant Hercule Poirot, but it was still a well-written and clever story.

Recommended.

No comments: