8 Mar 2001

4.50 from Paddington (by Agatha Christie)

I have just read four books by the same author, one after another. It is probably not a good idea, as they can become a bit samey when that happens. But having never read anything by Agatha Christie, I was determined to catch up. So the next one I tried was '4.50 from Paddington'.

This is the story of Mrs McGillicuddy. She sees a gruesome murder from a railway carriage as she's travelling along. She mentions it to her friend Miss Marple. Miss Marple, who is always interested in a mystery, enlists the help of a young friend, who discovers the body.

After various false starts, Miss Marple successfully unmasks the murderer.

It was a cleverly written book, though nothing special. Just as well I didn't try this one first, or I might not have become so enthusiastic about this author's work.

No comments: