12 Nov 2000

Black Hearts in Battersea (by Joan Aiken)

'Black Hearts in Battersea' is a novel for older children by Joan Aiken.  It is a sequel of sorts to the better known 'Wolves of Willoughy Chase'. I think we probably picked this up second-hand at a charity shop or church bookstall.

Rather than reading it to myself, I decided to read this aloud to my teenage sons, who thoroughly enjoyed it. I like to read them a variety of books, including some classics and others they might not decide to read for themselves.

The story is about a boy called Simon, who arrives in London to begin art training. Unfortunately, he is not expected...

A complicated mix-up follows.  The book has a most unlikely but extremely well-told plot. It's quite exciting, and turned out to be an excellent book for reading aloud.

Recommended.

No comments: