24 Oct 2000

Good Omens (by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman)

'Good Omens' is a darkly humorous book by Terry Pratchett (best known for the Discworld books) and Neil Gaiman (whom I had not previously come across).

It's basically a brilliantly funny and perceptive book about Armageddon. However it's written in typical Pratchett style with literary allusions and unlikely scenarios. For instance, the child born to be the antichrist is mistakenly switched with another baby...

As this baby grows up, there are several incidents reminiscent of the 'Just William' series by Richmal Crompton which was popular when I was a child.

Overall, I thought this book to be excellent.

I have just finished reading 'Good Omens' aloud to my teenage sons, and we all enjoyed it.  It wasn't new to me, as I had previously read it to myself some years ago.  But it was well worth reading again.

Definitely recommended.

No comments: