25 Sept 2000

The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (by Joan Aiken)

'The Wolves of Willoughby Chase' is a classic story for children by Joan Aiken.  I enjoyed it as a child, and I read it aloud recently to my sons, who are currently 11 and 13.

The story features Bonnie and her gentle cousin Sylvia. They are left in the care of the power-crazy  - and rather caricatured - Miss Slighcarp. She treats them extremely badly...

England in the 19th century comes alive in this book. It's a very exciting story which is mostly believable, albeit rather melodramatic at times.  Apparently there really were wolves in the UK in that era.

Overall, we thought this very enjoyable. This is often thought of as a book for girls, but my sons liked it very much, too.  And it's well worth re-reading as an adult - I had forgotten most of the detail, and was very pleased to have read it again.

Recommended. 

No comments: