14 Aug 2000

Althea joins the Chalet School (by Elinor M Brent-Dyer)

Sometimes I like to re-read my teenage favourite books. One of these is the Chalet School series by Elinor M Brent-Dyer. Of course they're a bit samey; some are much better than others. But the characters are quite three-dimensional, and I often pick one of these up for comfort reading.

'Althea joins the Chalet School' is one of the rather run-of-the-mill stories, however.  It features (unsurprisingly) a girl called Althea. She is sent to the school because her parents are going abroad. It's pleasant enough light reading, mainly about Althea settling in and making friends.

I would not particularly recommend this unless you're a fan of the series.  Note that the hardback is better than the abridged Armada paperback.

(I wrote a much longer review of 'Althea Joins the Chalet School' after I re-read it again seventeen years later.)

No comments: