27 Jul 2024

My Man Jeeves (by PG Wodehouse)

My Man Jeeves by PG Wodehouse
(Amazon UK link)
I was introduced to PG Wodehouse by my father when I was in my early teens. Like him, I immediately loved the ‘Jeeves’ books. Set in the early part of the 20th century, they feature the independently wealthy, kind-hearted and somewhat gormless Bertie Wooster. They also feature his highly intelligent valet Jeeves. 

Since these books are now out of copyright, I have downloaded many of them from Project Gutenberg, and often read one of them on my Kindle when I’m travelling. I decided, a few days ago, to read ‘My Man Jeeves’; apparently I last read it in 2011.

I quickly discovered that, rather than a whole novel, this is a book with eight short stories. The first few are, as usual, narrated by Bertie. They are set during his self-imposed exile in New York after failing to fulfil a request by his terrifying Aunt Agatha. The UK, as he explains, is not big enough to contain both himself and his aunt, when she is angry. 

The book opens with a brief description of Jeeves and their mostly excellent but sometimes stressed relationship. We learn that Bertie has recently decided to buy a suit which Jeeves strongly disapproves of. Jeeves has an excellent eye for colour, and good (if sometimes old-fashioned) taste. It’s a theme that has introduced more than one of the stories about the pair, a useful device when Bertie needs help and Jeeves, rather passive-aggressively, refuses to oblige. 

Many of the stories involve Bertie trying to solve a friend’s romantic problems, and these are no exception. I did find myself vaguely remembering the outcomes as I read, for more than one of the stories. I probably read it in my teens as well as thirteen years ago, but it doesn’t really matter. It’s inevitable that Jeeves will eventually come to the rescue, and that whatever problems occur, he will solve them. And then Bertie will give in to Jeeves’ strictures about his wardrobe, getting rid of the offending suit, tie or other article of raiment that Jeeves disapproves of.

There are also four stories about a different (though also independently wealthy) young man, Reggie Pepper. His voice is quite similar to that of Bertie Wooster, but he doesn’t have Jeeves or anyone like him. Reggie admits to being rather dim, but he’s also kind and generous; he’s also very keen on golf. His stories were, apparently, an early prototype for Bertie, and some of them also involve helping friends with their romantic entanglements. 

The final story then returns us to Bertie and Jeeves, this time helping a friend who lives in the country and loathes city life. He has expectations from an aunt who asks him to do something entirely contrary to his nature. I had remembered this story too, though not its final outcome. I wonder if it was one of the ones featured in the excellent BBC adaptation of these books featuring Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry. 

Wodehouse’s style and humour will not appeal to everyone. A book set amongst the idle rich is undoubtedly frivolous, and the satire is often subtle. In addition, Jeeves’ stratagems often involve deception, and there are a lot of caricatures.  But despite all this, I still like re-reading them from time to time, and will probably continue to do so.

The link is to a paperback edition of ‘My Man Jeeves’, but it’s inexpensively available in Kindle form, or free from Project Gutenberg

Review copyright 2024 Sue's Book Reviews

No comments: