11 Nov 2006

Broken Windows, Broken Lives (by Adrian Plass)

Adrian Plass is one of my top favourite Christian authors. Indeed he is probably my favourite of all British living ones. He writes so well, on a variety of subjects. He combines very moving moments with gentle humour (or laugh-aloud humour in the case of his 'Sacred Diary' books).

This particular book, 'Broken Windows, Broken Lives', is one of the most moving I have read. It features a young man who applies to work at a home for disturbed children. He has no idea what he's letting himself in for, but is a caring and honest person. However, he is rather too sure of himself and convinced that he will be a great success.

Of course life turns out to be very different from what he imagined, and the boys are much harder to deal with than he expected. Nevertheless he slowly gets to know them, and builds trust, and learns a lot about himself in the process.

I gather this is based in part on the author's own experiences working in a boys' home.  It certainly feels authentic.

I've read this at least twice before but found it impossible to put down once I'd started it again. Highly recommended.

No comments: