30/01/2005

Thunder on the Right

Jennifer and Stephen uncover mystery and intrigue in a small village in the Pyrenees, focussing around a convent. Jennifer comes to see her cousin Gillian but is met with shocking news - which makes her very suspicious.

This book has high drama, chases, danger, and a low-key romantic thread to break up the tension. I'm not keen on thrillers in general, but Mary Stewart's writing style is such that I find myself gripped and involved without being terrified! I thoroughly enjoyed this and wish it could have been longer. It was very well-written and exciting with a most satisfactory (though admittedly clich├ęd) ending.

I read this first in my teens and found it a little scary; re-reading it now I am perhaps more confident than I was then and would recommend it to anyone.

No comments: