17 Jul 2003

Silver Wedding (by Maeve Binchy)

I like Maeve Binchy's books. I like them more as I grow older, and I often like them better on the second time of reading.

I can't remember when I first read 'Silver Wedding' - it was at least five or six years ago, probably more. I had a vague memory of it, which turned out to be completely wrong - evidently I was thinking of a different book completely!

It's about Desmond and Deirdre, a couple in Ireland who, at the start of the book, will soon be going to celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary.

Their daughter Anna knows that it's up to her to organise something... but she's not entirely sure what.

The book starts with a chapter about Anna, then moves around to other family and friends, introducing new subplots and revelations gradually, while moving towards the culmination of the silver wedding party.

It's a very pleasant light read, with some thought-provoking parts, and some delightful characters. The ending is entirely satisfactory, too, at least in my opinion.

Highly recommended.

No comments: