26 Jul 2002

Goodbye Piccadilly (by Betty Burton)

I haven't really come across Betty Burton before, but the cover of this book looked interesting, and I found it in a charity shop inexpensively, so I thought I'd give it a go.

'Goodbye Piccadilly' opens with Otis, on holiday with her parents in Southsea. She finds that her friends Jack and Esther are also staying there. They've all grown up since the last time they met...

Their lives continue to cross as they grow up, go through the War, take part in suffragette rallies, and more.

It was probably all historically authentic, and no doubt provided a good example of social history. But the early 20th century isn't my favourite period, and I didn't find any of the characters particularly appealed to me. So although I read it, and thought it well-written, I didn't find it terribly interesting.

Not currently in print, but reasonably easy to find second-hand.

No comments: