16 Nov 2001

Frederica (by Georgette Heyer)

How I love Georgette Heyer's books! I have most of them, and re-read them all frequently. She was, in my view, far and away the best writer of Regency romance books, with excellent characters, remarkably clever plots, and a style that is totally believable within the culture of the time.

This was at least the third time I read 'Frederica' which is one of my top favourites. It's the story of a girl (Frederica) who arrives in London with her beautiful sister Charis, and their delightful younger brothers Jessamy and Felix.

Frederica enlists the help of their unwilling distant cousin the Marquis of Alverstoke, hoping he can help them become established in society. He agrees for various not-so-noble reasons, but finds himself getting to know the friendly boys, and soon becomes more and more involved with the girls too.

This book is fast-paced and exciting, with a very satisfactory - if expected - conclusion.

Definitely recommended.

(I re-read this less than three years later, and wrote a much longer review of 'Frederica')

No comments: