19 Jul 2001

See you Thursday (by Jean Ure)

Every so often I feel like reading some ultra-light children's fiction. I found this one on one of my son's bookshelves, and although I'd never heard of Jean Ure before, it looked interesting.

The story focuses on a teenage girl who is annoyed that her mother is going to take in a lodger. He's not just an ordinary lodger, either. He's a blind music teacher.

However, when she gets to know him, she find that he's young, undemanding and charming - and starts to fall in love.

It's really teenage fiction rather than children's, although it's probably too simple for many of today's sophisticated teenagers. I thought it was an excellent book to help children see the positive side of blindness, and the kind of prejudice that disabled people sometimes suffer.

Recommended.

No comments: