20 Jul 2001

The Chalet School Does It Again (by Elinor M Brent-Dyer)

I can go for ages without picking up any of Elinor M Brent-Dyers' books. But once I start re-reading them, I find them almost compulsive. They're light, intended for older children and teenagers. But the characters are believable and the situations are sometimes moving and often interesting.

'The Chalet School Does It Again', however, is really a run-of-the-mill school story.  The title itself seems something of a cop-out, and reflects the story which does not have anything much to make it stand out.

As with all these books, this is worth reading by fans of the series, but it's nothing special.  Don't read this unless you have read some of the earlier books in the series and like re-meeting favourite characters.

(You can also read my rather longer review of 'The Chalet School Does It Again' written after I re-read it thirteen years later)

No comments: