8 Apr 2001

The Devil on Lammas Night (by Susan Howatch)

Of all Susan Howatch's early 'gothic' novels, I think this one is probably the most frightening. 'The Devil on Lammas Night' is not at all the kind of book I would normally read. But I like Howatch's writing so much that I decided I would try it.

The story is about a young couple called Jane and Benedict Shaw, who rent a relative's cottage for the summer. Nearby, their relative Walter has had his house taken over by a group of health-food fanatics who want to make it their base.

Various other members of the families enter the scene, and gradually fall under the spell of the health-food group leader, Tristan Poole. An evil plot is revealed, as the book rushes to its conclusion.

Very well written and extremely tense.  It's a gothic melodrama, hopefully not realistic; yet somehow it is very believably chilling.

Recommended if you like being scared.... 

No comments: