![]() |
| (Amazon UK link) |
I finished ‘Shopaholic ties the knot’ last month, in which Sophie and Luke finally get married, after a lot of indecision and confusion, and potential disasters. I love the way that no matter how deep a hole Becky manages to dig for herself, there’s always some way out. Often something related to her personality or her previous professional skills.
Shopaholic and sister’ is the next in the series. I first read it in 2007, and as far as I recall it was the first novel by Sophie Kinsella that I had read. I didn’t expect much, but thought the writing style excellent and the story well-crafted. It didn’t matter that I started part-way through the series and collected the other books somewhat at random.
This time I’m reading through in order. And just before I started this, I remembered that there was a short story, ‘Shopaholic on Honeymoon’, which I read on my Kindle not long ago. So I reread that, which recounts the early part of Luke and Becky’s honeymoon experience, as they discuss how long it might actually last.
‘Shopaholic and sister’ starts when they have been travelling for ten months. They’ve had a wonderful time, and Luke has relaxed, as Becky hoped, and embraced new cultures. They’re currently on a yoga course and Becky appears to be doing extremely well, though her mind is often on completely different topics. Including the many souvenirs which Becky has bought and shipped to the UK. Luke knows about some of them, but not all…
Then several things come together, meaning that they decide to return to the UK almost immediately rather than complete the year. Becky is homesick, and excited about seeing her parents, and her best friend Suze.
But Becky’s parents are rather nervous about something, and Suze, who has twin babies as well as a toddler, has made a new best friend called Lulu. Becky tries to be friendly with her, but realises that they have nothing in common. So she feels that she’s lost her friend. Then her parents tell her something astonishing… which would have been shocking to the reader, too, if it weren’t strongly hinted from the book title what was going to happen.
I had remembered this incident, but none of what follows. Becky goes a bit overboard trying to be friendly, and seems to fail at every count. Then she thinks she’s helping Luke with a business decision, only to find out that she has totally the wrong idea, and he’s not happy at all. As ever, she overreacts and is convinced their marriage is on the rocks… so she travels north in the hope of finding help and advice, without letting anyone know where she is. She doesn’t suppose anyone will even notice she’s gone.
I found it a surprisingly moving book in several places, as well as laughing aloud more than once. The author had an excellent way with words, and Becky feels entirely believable, if somewhat naive, and unbelievably prone to overspending. She truly behaves like a shopping addict, if such a thing exists; she is determined to stick to a budget, then can’t resist a bargain. Even if it’s something she doesn’t actually want.
The pace is just right for my tastes, the people - even the minor characters - mostly distinguishable. We see Becky at her most vulnerable emotionally. We also see her as in a potentially very dangerous situation, after she decides to go on a mountain climb in unsuitable shoes. And we see her loyalty, her belief in being positive (even if somewhat misplaced) and her vulnerability, as she is scared to admit to some of the things she has made.
I had no idea how the complex situations were going to be resolved, and didn’t see another potential disaster that occurs in the final chapters. I thought it all handled expertly, and think this is probably my favourite of the books so far.
This book and others in the series are not to everyone’s tastes. They’re light, and fluffy, and Becky is, at times, remarkably frustrating. But she got under my skin to the extent that I wanted to talk to her, to point out where she’s being ridiculous. I did like the fact that, in this book, another character does that. I love her relationship with Luke, too, and the way he adores her while also acknowledging how reckless, extravagant and irrational she can be.
So, for anyone wanting a very light, but well-written book with nothing unsuitable for teenagers, I would recommend this. It works as a standalone, but I’m liking them even better reading them in order.

No comments:
Post a Comment