12 Aug 2024

In my Sister's Shoes (by Sinéad Moriarty)

In my Sister's Shoes by Sinead Moriarty
(Amazon UK link)
From time to time I pick up interesting-looking books at a local church book sale, inexpensively. When I saw ‘In my Sister’s Shoes’ by Sinead Moriarty, nearly three years ago, I decided to buy it. I had read one of this author’s books before, and while I didn’t love it, I thought it was quite a good story. 

It’s taken me all this time to get around to reading this novel: I have a lot of books on my ‘to read’ shelf, and I do a lot of re-reading too. But it looked like a light, easy read and I was having a relaxing day today. I started it last night, and finished it today.

Kate is the main protagonist of the story, which is told in the first person. She works in media in London, and is thrilled that she’s just been given a role presenting a show. It’s not on a major channel, but it’s something she has been working towards for years.  However, we meet her as she’s ‘strutting’ up the path to her sister’s house, for her twin nephews’ fifth birthday party. 

Kate’s family all live in Dublin where she grew up. She’s thirty, her sister Fiona is four years older, and her brother Derek is four years younger. Fiona is a maths geek, married to the even more geeky Mark, who is a maths professor. Derek, by contrast, hopes to be a rapper; he still lives with his father, who has been funding his dream, but he’s not very successful. 

We quickly learn that Kate and her siblings lost their mother when Kate was only eight, and that Fiona took on a maternal role, despite being only twelve, as their father rather fell to bits. When Fiona discovers some devastating news about her health, Kate is persuaded - against her better judgement - to give up her job for a few months, and look after the twins, while her sister has some extensive treatment.

It’s a good plot idea, if similar to others I have read in recent years (and at least Fiona is still around). I liked the way that Kate does begin to get to know her nephews and understand what makes them tick. Until this happens, she has been clueless - bizarrely so - about what might be suitable for them. She drives them to their nursery school, takes them to the park, plays with them, reads to them, and becomes grudgingly fond of them, although she’s increasingly certain she never wants children of her own.

All of which would have been fine, along with some general information about Fiona’s treatment which is quite poignant. Derek and his friend Gonzo are a bit of a comedy duo who provide some light relief, although Gonzo’s tireless and rather crude pursuit of Kate is irritating. But the novel is rather spoiled, in my view, by endless pointless conversations that add nothing to the story, and Kate’s internal monologue which seems to repeat itself constantly. There appears to be an attempt to balance the darkness of Fiona's illness with more light-hearted scenes, but a lot of that really doesn't work. 

Kate’s father is eager for her to settle down with some nice boy, ideally the good-looking Sam who she dated eight years earlier. But Sam wanted Kate to stay in Dublin and she was ambitious, keen to have a career - and to escape her family - so she moved to London. I didn’t understand why her father supported Derek in his dreams that weren’t going anywhere, but disapproved of his daughter finding work and supporting herself. 

I was even less happy that Fiona, and Kate’s closest friend also seem to think that she would be happier ‘settling down’ and having a family. I’m a mother myself, and never had much ambition workwise. But I totally support people who feel differently. And I really don’t agree with the idea that it’s always a woman who should stay at home, and that a man’s career is more important. This book was first published in 2007 but the attitudes in it feel more like those described in books set in the 1950s. 

I also didn’t like the constant references to ‘shagging’ and similar, or the idea that single people need one-night-stands in order to be fulfilled. It all felt rather immature, along with the bad language which isn’t excessive, but still more than I’m comfortable with. And then the ending of the book seems contrived and abrupt. 

Worst of all is the treatment of the twins' unfortunate dog. I cringed several times. Their parents are very strict in the boys' routines, their food, what they watch and listen to, and more... but seem not even to notice that the family dog is tormented regularly. And nothing gets done about it. 

I suppose it’s not a bad book, despite all my criticisms above. But it’s not one I’m likely to read again. 

Review copyright 2024 Sue's Book Reviews

No comments: