12 Jan 2020

More Lives than One (by Libby Purves)

In slowly re-reading my novels by Libby Purves, I reached ‘More Lives than One’. I was given this at the end of 2003 and read it in July 2004. But whereas I had almost entirely forgotten the plots of other novels which I hadn’t read for fifteen or more years, this one was so powerful that I recalled the outline, the climax and the unexpected, traumatic revelation.

It was with a little trepidation that I started reading this again, a few days ago, not sure if I wanted that emotional trauma repeated. I had only the vaguest memory of the first part of the book. Kit, a strong, athletic guy in his late twenties, has led a lot of expeditions scuba diving or exploring. He has no time for a long-term relationship, until he meets and falls for Anna, a sweet, confident and likeable girl of nineteen.

After the introductory chapters in which the two meet and become close, the story jumps forward nine years. They are married, and both work as teachers at the same secondary school. Anna teaches modern languages, and is universally liked and respected. Kit teaches English, and has something of a reputation as a rebel: instead of following the curriculum he tries to inspire his students. He uses unorthodox methods which most of his students appreciate, but some of his colleagues do not.

The school has an unusual bequest; each year a group of students must be taken somewhere in Europe, where they must do something cultural and light candles for the donor. If they don’t do this, they lose the funding permanently. But it has been quite an effort, and has devolved into brief visits, not doing a great deal, and of little obvious benefit to the students.

Kit has other ideas. We don’t learn what most of them are until he arrives in Venice with fifteen students after persuading the school head to let him lead a much more ambitious trip than has happened in the past. Unfortunately, at the last moment he has to take one of the colleagues who most disapproves of his methods, but it’s not until the last evening that anything goes wrong…

I hadn’t remembered most of the details of the story. I had forgotten what was making Anna stressed; I had forgotten, too, how she and Kit are both portrayed as such likeable people with a strong relationship.. Nor had I remembered what an excellent teacher Kit is. It can be depressing working in a school where the children have no ambition beyond claiming welfare and (perhaps) staying out of prison. But Kit is an idealist and in some cases he succeeds in firing enthusiasm and helping the children see beyond their dreary surroundings.

The educational part of the book is interesting in itself; I hope that nowadays there are more teachers like Kit and Anna, particularly in struggling schools. The message is clear, that children can be helped and inspired by the right kind of teaching. Libby Purves was a journalist, and education - in the broadest sense - was clearly an important issue to her.

The first time I read this, I was half expecting something terrible to happen - an unexpected disaster, or betrayal, perhaps. But I was gradually lulled into the hope that it was mainly about the importance of educational methods to suit the children rather than the curriculum. That’s still an important message from the book, but I doubt if it will be read by many teachers.

On re-reading, I knew the revelation that was coming, and what provoked it being acknowledged. It was interesting to read with that benefit, to see just a few hints in the earlier chapters of what would eventually be revealed. But once again I became caught up in the storyline, which is well-written with just the right amount of description for me (minimal) and some believable characters, both major and minor.

I had not remembered what came afterwards. I thought it extremely well handled; some readers who see things in black and white would be quick to condemn. Others, like me, will find it all very thought-provoking. I thought the final chapter very encouraging. It’s more positive than I had recalled, although the future is left open. But love prevails, and is seen as the most important force for all concerned.

It’s a controversial novel, and one that shocked me deeply the first time; this time I think I enjoyed it more. Very highly recommended.

No longer in print, though it can often be found second hand; but 'More Lives than One' is available in Kindle form.

Review copyright 2020 Sue's Book Reviews

No comments: