27 Apr 2014

Other People's Secrets (by Louise Candlish)

Other People's Secrets by Louise Candlish
(Amazon UK link)
I've enjoyed several books by Louise Candlish, and had this on my wishlist for a while; when I picked it from my to-read shelf a couple of weeks ago, I was surprised to note that I was given it a couple of years ago. Perhaps the cover had put me off: it isn't a particularly appealing cover, and certainly doesn't suggest the emotive and thought-provoking nature of the book. It took me a couple of weeks to read it, a chapter or so at a time at bedtime... until, in the last 100 or so pages, I couldn't put it down.

'Other people's secrets' features a time span of just two weeks. A wealthy family (Marty and Bea Sale and their three adult offspring) are on holiday in Italy. Nearby, staying in a converted boathouse, are Adam and Ginny: a young couple who have just experienced a devastating tragedy. Just as they're starting to get to know each other, an attractive young man appears on the scene; he's staying in a cheap hotel in the town.

All eight of these main characters have secrets of some kind. We learn some of them very quickly - an unfaithful husband, a planned separation - and others are revealed within a few chapters, including the nature of the young couple's tragedy, although this is obvious from the start. Other secrets are just hinted at, at first; while I had guessed one of them pretty early on, there was a revelation towards the end which I certainly hadn't expected.

The writing is powerful, with believable conversations and just enough description to set the scenes. There was a fair amount of introspection - we see several different viewpoints, through the novel - but it works well, all the subplots gradually drawing together as the people relate to each other.

I found all the main characters appealing in different ways, although one of them (Esther) was so shadowy that she felt almost redundant; I felt that perhaps she was put there as a token. The person I found most disturbing was Bea, mother of the wealthy family. She's wise and caring, intuitive and strong; I liked her very much at first. Yet she does something so stupid and unlikely (indeed, she then repeats it several times) that I lost my belief in her entirely. This part of the plot just didn't work, in my view.

But all the rest is expertly done. I had my heartstrings tugged several times, and even had a little tear in my eye a couple of times. If it were not for Bea's sordid indiscretions, I would have rated this very highly indeed and recommended it strongly, as it's a powerful and thought-provoking book which, overall, I enjoyed very much.

Available in paperback on both sides of the Atlantic, and in Kindle form too.


Review copyright 2014 Sue's Book Reviews

No comments: