26 Dec 2013

The Daily Walk Bible NLT: 31 Days with Jesus

I am always interested in free ebooks for the Kindle, and peruse the offers from time to time. I thought this looked interesting when I spotted it in the Christian section on Amazon UK, and the Amazon US reviews were mostly positive.

'The Daily Walk Bible NLT: 31 Days with Jesus' is - as I discovered when I started it - published by the people responsible for the 'Walk Thru the Bible' program, which is a great way of encouraging people to remember key points from either the Old or New Testament. It has actually taken me rather longer than 31 days to read this, because I didn't remember on several days.

Overall, I thought it a good idea: it covers all four gospels with 3-4 chapters each day, in the New Living Translation, plus 'insights', notes and and an overview at the beginning of each day's readings. There wasn't anything particularly different or new in them, but it was good to read the gospels in chunks like this, one account after another, over the run-up to Christmas.

This ebook is apparently taken from a full 'Daily Walk Bible' which covers the entire Bible in a year, and was - in a sense - an advert or taster for it. The idea is good.

Unfortunately the Kindle version has rather poor formatting problems, with enormous, page-sized letters at the headings of the different sections, and (at the other extreme) little overview tables that were too tiny to read. It also had what appeared to be hyperlinks within the text to other parts of the Bible which did not work, as it's just an excerpt, but the editor did not think of removing these, which was a bit annoying.

So while I would recommend the concept and content in a low-key way, the formatting let it down quite badly. I imagine that the full version as a book would be a great deal better. This 31 days version is, as far as I can tell, only available as an e-book.

Review copyright Sue's Book Reviews

No comments: