11 Mar 2013

The Furious Longing of God (by Brennan Manning)

I first came across Brennan Manning a little over seven years ago, when my son gave me his classic book 'The Ragamuffin Gospel'.  I found the writing powerful and moving, and since then have acquired and read others of his books.

There's a strong theme running through them all - that of the immense, tender and overwhelming love that God has for mankind. And, unsurprisingly, 'The Furious Longing of God' covers the same topic yet again.

It's a good reminder for everyone that Christianity without an awareness of God's love is meaningless, a pale imitation of what it should be.  This book is short, with a few anecdotes and - as always - clear, positive writing. At the end of each chapter are a couple of points to ponder about how we love God, and there are suggestions of brief prayers, times to make ourselves open to God's love in a new way.

The author's personality type is not mine; moreover he has had a very hard life, working as a Roman Catholic priest but eventually getting married, and regularly struggling with drink problems. So the sense of God's passionate love - furious in the best sense - must be of immense reassurance to him. I am thankful, too. But I did find myself thinking, once or twice, that it was basically the same book as all the others.

Still, the message needs to be said, and probably said repeatedly in slightly different ways.  I think I might have felt a tad disappointed if I had paid a lot for this, but as it was special offer to download for my Kindle (under two pounds at the time, although it is now more) I'm pleased to have it in my collection.

Generally recommended. Note that links are to the paperback editions of this book.

Review copyright Sue's Book Reviews, 11th March 2013

No comments: