20 Sept 2011

Stress-proof your life (by Elisabeth Wilson)

I'd never heard of Elisabeth Wilson. I can't find any pages about her on the Internet, although there is another writer who spells her first name with a 'z', but I assume she's not the same one.

I probably never would have heard of her, but for a free offer from Amazon a month or two back, for the Kindle edition of 'Stress-proof your life'. It's not a title that would naturally have leapt out at me, but when I look for the free e-books, I tend to download any that look even remotely interesting.

I've been reading this e-book for the past ten days or so, usually while eating my breakfast. It's set out as fifty-two short chapters, each one containing an 'idea' for helping to reduce stress. Some of them were fairly obvious (delegate, eat more healthfully, get more rest...), some I had read before (try serious aromatherapy, spend an hour in a flotation tank...) and others were really quite inspiring, such as techniques to get through procrastination, and ways of prioritising.

Each 'idea' has a couple of pages with explanations, personal anecdotes, and practical suggestions. Then each one is followed by a couple of questions from people who have tried the suggestion and found it difficult, followed by advice. It made for quite interesting reading, as the style is light and friendly, even when the idea itself was not particularly relevant to me.

I don't think my life is particularly stressful at present; if it had been, I'm not sure I would have found the time to read this, so I suppose it's useful to have gone through it at a non-stressful time. While it wasn't the greatest book ever (and there were a few formatting errors and spelling mistakes in this Kindle version) it did contain some useful suggestions, one or two of which I have taken up - and I certainly can't complain about the price!

The paperback versions of this book seem to be out of print now. and the Kindle editions are no longer free; the price seems over-high for such a short book so I wouldn't particularly recommend it at the current price. But if you see a second-hand edition in a charity shop somewhere, or if it's offered free again for the Kindle, it's worth perusing.

(The Amazon link is to the printed version in the marketplace, where prices seem extremely high for second-hand editions).

Review copyright Sue's Book Reviews, 20th September 2011

No comments: