9 Apr 2006

Back to Square One (by Larry Christenson)

'Back to Square One' is a relatively short book (150 pages) by Larry Christenson. He is an American Lutheran Pastor who has written several books about spiritual renewal.

The book takes as its outline the analogy of the Christian life as being like a game. The author points out that, every so often, we get returned to the first square and have to wait awhile before starting again.

I would agree that it is true that we can easily get caught up in works and ministry, and forget about the need for the Holy Spirit's filling and guidance day by day. Even so, I felt the analogy got a bit convoluted in places.

There are some interesting points, and overall I thought this book worth reading. But I did not find it particularly inspiring or encouraging.

In my opinion, a much better book on this theme is John Ortberg's 'When the Game is Over, it All Goes Back in the Box'

No comments: