22 Mar 2006

Cabbages for the King (by Adrian Plass)

Oh, I do like Adrian Plass's books! He's my favourite living Christian author from the UK, and I re-read all his books from time to time. They're down-to-earth, yet full of thought-provoking analogies and metaphors. 'Cabbages for the King' is the most recent one I have re-read.

The author uses satire and direct humour to make points without being pushy. He pokes gentle fun at some of the odd ideas people sometimes get within churches, without being offensive. And he often points the finger at himself.

This book is a collection of bits and pieces, loosely organised in four categories. Adrian Plass talks about truth - real truth - in Christian circles; about being vulnerable; about people; and about what we do.

Included in these general categories, he shares anecdotes of family life, amusing poems and sketches, and general commentary on what he observes. I chuckled aloud in places and was moved to tears in others, despite having read this before. I found myself, once again, relieved that such a wise, yet ordinary man is able to bring his insights to so many.

Highly recommended.

No comments: