20/03/2006

Against her Nature (by Elizabeth Buchan)

This is the second novel I've read by Elizabeth Buchan. It has an interesting premise: two tall and somewhat feminist girls find themselves kindred spirits, despite very different backgrounds. One is from a privileged wealthy background, the other was abandoned as a baby and brought up by an austere and fanatically religious aunt. Both are interested in finance, and determined not to be caught up in domesticity or parenthood.

But there's also a huge strand about banking, finance, insurance, and risk in general, which I found confusing and rather dull. The period of the book revolves around a stock market crash, and people suddenly finding themselves responsible for huge debts which they had underwritten. All rather horrendous, and all way too jargonish for me to appreciate it. I had to skim sections to get to the people-orientated parts of the book, which I enjoyed, although I couldn't really empathise with any of the characters.

I did finish it - I was interested enough to find out what happened - but it felt like rather an effort at times. It would probably be of more interest to someone who is interested in financial institutions and insurance.

No comments: