16 May 2002

Warleggan (by Winston Graham)

I generally try and space books by the same author out a bit, as they can get rather samey. But having started one Winston Graham book, I have kept reading and have just completed the fourth in the 'Poldark' series, set in Cornwall in the 19th century.

In 'Warleggan', Dwight Emp falls in love with Caroline, George Warleggan proposes to the widowed Elizabeth, Ross is rescued from bankruptcy again, and finally discovers some hope in his new mine.

Ross and Demelza are estranged when Ross commits adultery, and she is tempted to revenge.

More realistic and exciting chapters in the Poldark series ... perhaps a bit too much business/finance for my tastes, but well-written and compulsive reading.

Unfortunately I don't yet have the fifth in the series though I shall be looking out for it!

No comments: