20 Jun 2001

They do it with Mirrors (by Agatha Christie)

Inevitably, as I read my way through dozens of Agatha Christie books, I will like some more than others. It seems, so far, that I find those featuring Miss Marple slightly less appealing than the others. Having said that, I do very much appreciate the idea of a 'dear old lady' turning out to be an excellent crime investigator.

In the novel 'They do it with mirrors', Miss Marple is visiting an old friend, when a murder is committed and a second one is attempted. She tries to solve the mystery of who did it, and in turn each member of the household falls under suspicion.

The truth, when it is uncovered, seemed a bit forced to me, and rather unlikely. Still, as ever, it was cleverly written and enjoyable on the whole.

Recommended in a low-key way. 

No comments: