12 Sept 2000

Blandings Castle (by P G Wodehouse)

'Blandings Castle' is a collection of short stories by PG Wodehouse. He is probably best known for his 'Jeeves and Wooster' series, but I like some of his other work too.  The 'Blandings' books are just as enjoyable, in my view.

These stories, set in the early part of the 20th century, feature the rather vague Lord Emsworth and his son Freddie. Freddie is married to an American.

There's lots of light humour, as I have come to expect from PG Wodehouse's writing.  And there's a more serious side: Lord Emsworth finally gets the courage to stand up for himself against his domineering sister and gardener.

Overall I thought this book was very enjoyable.  I read it aloud to my sons (aged 11 and 13) and it worked extremely well as a read-aloud.  Some of the humour comes across more clearly than when reading alone, and I always like sharing this kind of book with someone else.

Recommended.

No comments: