17 Jun 2000

The Wheel of Fortune (by Susan Howatch)

'The Wheel of Fortune' is a saga novel by Susan Howatch. I love her writing style. But I much prefer her more recent novels about the Church of England.

'The Wheel of Fortune' is the story of the house of Oxmoon. It's also about the strange power which it seems to wield over the family.

The novel extends over several decades. It's cleverly written and the past is slowly uncovered. Emotions are laid bare, and power struggles tear people apart.

I found this book a gripping read.  It's very well-written with believable characters.  Having said that, it's probably my least favourite of this author's books so far - but the bar is high.  Other people love this book, so I may re-read it some day and see if I like it better. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's my favorite Susan Howatch novel.